[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging, Process-In-Place

  • From: Bill Gardner <billg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 17:19:50 -0400

At 11:54 AM 5/30/03 -0700, you wrote:

If you have to make one buffer copy you use up extra memory bandwidth.  If
you have to ask for a new buffer for your output because your input is RO,
you use up more memory, more cache, but NOT memory bandwidth (cache effects
aside).

OK, but the whole point of doing in-place operations is to optimize cache usage.

Anyway I see Jeff has replied rather firmly, so I'm going to stop beating on this issue. I'm going to be travelling next week and will probably not keep up with this discussion.

Later all,

Bill