[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:19:53 +0100

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 07:22:55 +0200, Matthias Juwan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a thought how to abstract interleaved/non-interleaved audio data:
>
> *) Interleaved:
>
> float* interleavedBuffer;
>
> float* buffers[2];
> buffers[0] = interleavedBuffer;
> buffers[1] = interleavedBuffer + 1;
>
> long offsetToNextSample = 2; // number of channels

The efficiency is OK, theres some code like this in jacks i/o code, but it
not something you wnat to work with in every plugin IMHO.

To me, the ideal is that you get passed a set (in the non-tenchical sense
of the word) or contiguious float arrays, everything else is non-optimal
from a simplicity point of view.

A bunch of float arrays is functionally complete, and has no major
performance disadvantages, so it gets my vote.