[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 18:01:26 +0100

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 10:42:26AM -0600, Mike Berry wrote:
>       Note the use of the word *SOME*. A compressor has some sort of
>       envelope follower in it. If I know the input buffer is zero, then I can
> bypass the envelope analysis for that input buffer.

Not really, you still have to roll the envelope code to make it track the
buffer of silence for your relaese, but you can save on the
back-conversion and multiplying the input signal as that is not stateful.

> >>- Visualization plugins like meters. This is actually where we saw our
> >>largest gains.

Meters I have no problem with as its pretty easy to get right, and the
heavy lifting and optimisation happens outside of the DSP thread.

>       Since it seems that we are trying to not limit host design, I would
>       say use the flag and have plugins set a capability flag for whether or
> not
> they use IsZero. If they do not advertise the capability, then the host
> always clears the IsZero flag upon return from the plugin, thus making
> it the host's responsibility to avoid the bug I mentioned above. If the
> plugin says they do understand IsZero, then it becomes the plugin's
> responsibility to avoid incorrectly marking their output buffers as zero.

Capability flags are a trouble spot, but its not neccesary to have 1 flag
per buffer, there can be one flag per port, which means you dont need a
capability flag.