[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:45:24 -0400

It seems we're not going to reach a unanimous opition about an IsZero flag.
(I would prefer not to settle on a simple majority opinion or
super-majority, even if that's the case right now.)

Vincent's point, which warrants at least a benchmark, is that the relative
cost of zerofilling is negligible for any plugin of even modest complexity.
Recursive DSP has "infinite" decay, so you can't say "zero-in, zero-out"
without loss of quality and precision.

I happen to *believe* -- I can't *know* without a benchmark -- that for some
classes of DSP the cache penalty for reading samples out of a zeroed buffer
is significant.  Vincent *believes* otherwise -- unless he has benchmarks he
is willing to share that prove otherwise.

But right now we're not actually doing the design, or doing benchmarks.  So
let's defer the decision on whether or not to add this flag to a time where
benchmarks are appropriate.