[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:15:15 -0400

Tim Hockin wrote on Tuesday, May 27, 2003

If we go the way of enumerated formats I want to make one thing clear - we
should support channel layouts, AND NOT encodings.  I don't care how many
channels you can encode into a stereo stream.  If you want 4 channels, use 4
channels.  Now, there may be more than one 4-channel format, but they are
not encodings. ... 5.1
<<<

Are channel mappings "layout" or "encoding"?  For example, there a different
standards for where each of the 5 speakers (and LFE) are located among the 6
streams in 5.1.  The format needs to specify that somehow.

Has anybody looked at the Microsoft WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE stuff in this
area?