[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 17:27:31 -0700 (PDT)

> No, I like it as stereo AND LtRt. The stereo part is the physical format
> enum that plugs use to identify their acceptable formats. The LtRt part
> would be additional information that the plug can simply ignore. So there
> could be both a physical enum and an encoding enum:

Disagree - in the same vein as wanting to fail when appropriate, connect
LtRt to a Stereo plug is probably wrong.

> physical enums
> mono, stereo, 2.1, quad, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, 10.2, N-channel...

How is 2.1 different from 3?.  All your "physical enums" are are channel
counts.

Certainly your host can ALLOW connections from unlike encodings, but in
general it would be worthy of note.  I think.