[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 10:35:54 -0700 (PDT)

> Ah, so it's *only* about connection negotiation?

I think so, yes.

> I hope we're not talking about actual structures at the "DSP level".
> Pins/ports or whatever we call them should always be mono, IMO. We
> could have elaborate XML descriptions or whatever to figure out how
> to connect things, but I don't see any need to bring it down to the
> low (ie process() call) levels of the API.

Not clear - the way I THINK I'm being argued against is this:  A connection
is one of several defined types.  A connection ALWAYS connects all wires of
that connection.

That is to say, if you have a 5.1 connection, you always get all 6 signals.
If you have a stereo connection, you always get 2 signals.

> > Within each connection (think of it is a multi-signal wire)
>
> (What I've called "cable" at times in the XAP dicussion.)

yes, and this unit is atomic UNLESS it is run through some converter to N
mono channels (which the host CAN do automagically).

> Consider physical cables with wire insulation in different colors.
> That makes it possible to merge cables without knowing anything about
> the signals. But if you have two cable ends with the same number of
> wires, and the same colors, it *might* just be a coincidence that the
> colors are the same. The cables don't *have* to be compatible.

You can't bundle or unbundle wires except into proper formats.  One such
format is the N-signal - N mono signals.  Anything higher level is left for
the host.