[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 17:48:51 +0100

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 07:09:35 -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
> So I still think what I said before, that the plug is the only entity
> in a position to know which logical output buffer(s), if any, can
> safely be used as the physical 'process-in-place' buffer for each
> logical input buffer.  We could decide to furnish a mechanism for the
> plug to tell the host that, but a priori the host just doesn't know
> enough about how the plug was written to allow such 'crossing'
> decisions... unless we add an unpleasant rule like 'all plugs can
> only take one pass at their I & O buffers'.

That is the rule. Not one pass strictly, but the write pass must be
after the read pass (if you have passes).

Bear in mind that there are a large number of plaings that have been
written to this constraint, so we know it works, its not speculation.

That said we do want a getout clause for pluings that want to do multi
pass renderings.