[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:24:45 -0400

        Why do we need musical time at all? Can't a single tick of
sufficient
resolution cover all of our needs, musical, samples, and UST?
<<<

I think we always need UST, just to have a "wall clock" reference, to allow
synchronization.  If you try to sync to audio streams being sent to 2
different sound cards, they well progress at different rates relative to one
another because each card has its own electrically separate clock.

But for the time that's used the represent the current stream time, I agree,
why can't one unit cover all bases?