[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:30:42 -0700 (PDT)

> >If I tie a knob on my MIDI box to the tempo control, how can you know
> >ANYTHING about the future?  Ditto for things like meter.
>
> All you can know about is the current model of the future.  But you
> -can- know that, and we -could- decide that GMPI should allow a plug
> to query that.  It's a feature decision.

It's a decision to spec a feature that can never be guaranteed to work.  Not
only can a point in time in the future move, but how can you peek ahead,
when my hand hasn't played that bar yet?

Certainly plugins like this can work in non-realtime settings.  As long as
we concede that, it is simple enough to spec that a plugin must identify
it's own additional latency.