[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:12:37 -0700

> Call me an optimist, but I want my plugins to believe there is a future.<g>
 Imagine a GMPI version (actually today in OPT version 1), where a plugin can
 pull data from anywhere out of a project's timeline at any time.  Giving
 plugins access to future data and/or a birds-eye view of a song can be very
 powerful.

how can that be, when the timeline might be changing realtime, via non-sequenced data.

If I tie a knob on my MIDI box to the tempo control, how can you know
ANYTHING about the future?  Ditto for things like meter.

All you can know about is the current model of the future. But you -can- know that, and we -could- decide that GMPI should allow a plug to query that. It's a feature decision.

-- Chris