[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 18:59:01 +0200

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 18.48, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Why would you schedule events based on running audio time, using
> > GMPI events meant for communicating with plugins?
>
> i am assuming that we are talking about using a single time
> representation consistently.

I see. I'm thinking about the event timestamps, and I'm not sure it
makes sense to mix them up with ABSTIME at all. In VST, they're just
indices from the first sample in each buffer, for example. If you
want some other form of time, you ask the host - and you can do that
for event times, as well as sample indices based on zero crossing
detection in audio buffers or whatever.

> >I think of these events as part of the plugin API; basically an
> >alternative to function calls - not as a generic event data type
> > for hosts to use internally for all sorts of stuff.
>
> it doesn't have to be. when the plugin's GUI editor is used to
> specify a time point 24hrs+ in the future, the plugin has to know
> how to represent that, and i assume it may want to use ABSTIME.

Yes, but then we're not talking about an event timestamp, but a
control with a value that's related to some timeline. (How does the
GUI - or something else - say which one?) Regardless, it's not a
value that anyone can apply directly to event timestamps, except in
one special case: When the host's timeline is locked to audio time.