[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 12:35:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 May 2003, David Olofson wrote:

> > only 64 bits are OK. why? yes, wrapping is fine for rolling time.
> > but its not OK when you want to schedule something within the
> > defined working time of a GMPI system. so far, we seem to have
> > defined that to be on the order of 24 hours. if i want to schedule
> > some event for 24 hours from now, i need more than 32 bits.

> Why would you schedule events based on running audio time, using GMPI
> events meant for communicating with plugins?

As an example, although we have probably agreed that automation events can
only refer to the current buffer, we might want to define them as a
segment of a curve whose overall scope is larger than the buffer.

We could compromise and have each buffer timestamped with a 64-bit
absolute time, and timestamp all events relating to that buffer relative
to the 64-bit absolute time with a 32-bit timestamp, but then you have two
different classes of time which gets messy IMHO.

Regards,
        Angus.