[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 09:30:26 -0600

kjbeak wrote:

Its worth remembering that not all Languages have Macros, so if we want to
be language agnostic which i think was one one of objectives, then relying
on Macros is going to cause prolems for other languages. Delphi coders will
have to use a function call or hard code it. C# and Java dont have macros,
neither do most modern language i have read about,

steves sugestion of 32.32 fixed point is a good idea imo,

if we realy must have sub-sample acuracy.

Please, please, please a predefined 32.32 for subsample, or any other version of predefined subsample, does not serve any of the purposes that I (the primary sub-sample advocate here) need.

My campaign is for HOST-defined quanta, as opposed to GMPI-defined quanta. The only GMPI defined quanta that would be useable by me would be straight audio samples. The whole point is for the host to be able to coordinate between different sample rates that it is supporting, and choose a multiple of all of them as the quanta.

Anyway, at this point I am officially dropping my advocacy of host-defined quanta. There simply is too much confusion, which would likely reflect SDK-user confusion later. Lets just count in audio samples.

So that leaves us with the 32 or 64 bit int question. If the timestamps are truly only as offsets within a single buffer, then 32 bit ints are OK. The question I still have is how do we tell the plugin the time at the beginning of the buffer? This seems to me to be useful information that requires a 64 bit int. And if we are using 64 bit ints at all of time, then all times should be 64 bit ints.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems