[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Silver Blade" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 19:16:57 +0100

> this fails what to me seems like an obvious test: is the user more
> likely to specify time as a fraction of a "song", or as a time using
> some of musical metric? i feel the latter is much more likely, and as
> a result that we should avoid the conversion between a normalized
> range value and a metricized value in the common case.

That's a valid point, and the exact point that originally lead me to think
that integers would be better.

But for internal use by host and plugins, fixed or floating-point may be
better.

Bear in mind that this representation of time would probably only be
internal - the user will probably never see it.

At the end of the day, it's a case of what is easier to use. A 64-bit
unsigned integer might just do the job nicely...

-SB