[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 13:17:03 -0400

>> > While an integer time may represent the actual song position in whatever
>> > units the host/plugins use, a floating point value *might* be better,
>for
>> > the simple reason that 0.0 is the start and 1.0 is the end (or at least
>> > *could be*.)

this fails what to me seems like an obvious test: is the user more
likely to specify time as a fraction of a "song", or as a time using
some of musical metric? i feel the latter is much more likely, and as
a result that we should avoid the conversion between a normalized
range value and a metricized value in the common case.

--p