[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 09:20:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 12 May 2003 RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Did we reach any consensus about the units and precision of ABSTIME?  It
> seems we haven't yet agreed on integer vs. fixed point vs. floating point,
> and sample accurate vs. sub-sample accurate.

I feel that it has to be 64-bit integer. Sub-sample accuracy (or rather, a
GMPI-defined [nanoseconds] or host-defined [= extra complexity] quantum)
would be good but I think we can live without.

> I think we agreed that all time stamps would be ABSTIME, with MUSTIME
> conversions handled by a host API.

I would still prefer to see these conversions handled in a GMPI services
layer, probably as part of the plug, than in the host.

>  (Assuming GMPI has a VST-like processing
> model), events within a processing frame will have relative ABSTIME
> timestamps from the start of the audio buffer.

What was the argument for relative vs. absolute?

> It was proposed also that plugins would ask for a preferred time format.
> This seems to get some limited traction in the group.  Is this what we all
> want?

I don't think it's needed for absolute time, but an extensible and
possibly negotiable format for musical position syncpulses would be good.

Regards,
        Angus.