[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 22:20:57 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Olofson" <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2003 8:36 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

> Right; Windows is not a real time OS. With some luck, it'll deliver
> with quite reasonable accuracy most of the time, but not always. Deal
> or look for another OS.

that's i'm doing ... slowly ... :-)

> and just because a PC
> cannot provide a precise 1ms timer by feature.

(I assume that by "PC" you mean "Windows PC". Although the ISA legacy
stuff is indeed utter crap, it's not *that* bad. This is an OS
problem.)

no. i talk about the PC. the PC clock of course , but the PIT also does not
allow 1ms precision.

> No. This happened because there was no sync/lock between the clocks.
> Any two free running oscillators will drift apart at some rate,
> unless you sync them. If you can't sync them, you have to adjust the
> virtual clocks you generate from them.

yes , but not only. take a look on the base frequency of the PIT. and try to
divid by 1000 :-)

> > perfect sense !? personnally i never seen that, and i cannot
> > imagine an audio station where the audio stream might be cut by a
> > MIDI code reception !
>
> It makes perfect sense if it's the only way you can timestamp incoming
> MIDI events, or deliver MIDI events on time. If you have a serious
> MIDI API, you shouldn't need to do it.

after it's a question of priority. personnally i don't understand this way.

> However, this doesn't connect MIDI timing to audio time in any way,
> unless you have an audio/MIDI interface that timestamps MIDI events
> with audio sample counts.

yes, it's the second problem to implement the timestamp event mechanism in
host audio software. Where to get the time !? :-)

Vincent Burel