[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 18:18:58 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Olofson" <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2003 1:55 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

> Finally, it was several years ago I started hearing that sample
> accurate timing is a must for serious HDR work. This is no longer
> true, or what?

no it's true. Editing , montage, or integrated audio sequencer can do that
easily , all that they want in term of precision ! .. .because there is not
really an event mechanism... and in this way , it's easy to represent a file
of Event with a precise time. Because the same computer manage the sequence
and the module which recieve it and this same computer knows exactely the
sequence. The problem is when there is different gears connected together
and let them talk together in real time.
to go into a full timestamped event handling is not a bad idea , especially
if we want to work with big buffer (4096 or 16000 samples and so on) but i'm
affraid it's not applicable on current commercial O/S. They are simply not
able to do that in real time or we will have to provide with the GMPI all
the necessary drivers to warrant the thread hierarchy and task scheduling.

i'd prefer go into a complete new RT O/S instead :-)

Vincent Burel