[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 22:18:37 +0200

"chris" <kjbeak@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Yes but if only very few plugins want this information then it is non sens
to send it to all plugs. If 90% of plugs are happy with ABSTIME then it will
be far more econimcal to let the other 10% request the conversion from the
host.

I tend to agree with both this -and- Todor's idea that it could be up to the plug to tell the host what time representation it prefers for events. The primary goal is to optimize by avoiding unnecessary conversions, either in the plug or in the host, and it seems to me that making the host go through a select (nextPlug->preferredTimeFormat) { case...case...case... } is not so bad.

So the question is how many plugs are going to want somthing other than
ABSTIME?

Well, if our ABSTIME is not going to be integrally related to samples, as (if I recall correctly) Mike proposes, I would think the question might be better put: How many plugs are going to want something other than a sample index, modulo the current timeslice? Don't most plugs just step through an input sample buffer one sample index at a time? Why fight that when we could support it?

So A) if we have to choose a default event time representation that's always passed to the plug, why not make it a sample index? And B) if we let the plug tell the host what one time representation it wants to see, why not make sample index one of the available options (and maybe the default one)?

I think I like B).

-- Chris