[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 11:48:58 -0700

> But if what's wanted/needed is a loose coupling between the plugin "host"
 and the "time context" in which the plugin runs, then I get it and think
 it's a good idea -- as long as plugins can reside in only one "time context"
 at a time.

Plugins can reside in as many "(musical) time contexts" as they provide "(musical) time context event ports". Any one event port may only exist in a single time context. However, most plugins will provide only one such "port".

That has real simplicity advantages over the host passing a MUSTIME context ID, esp. if every pin has its own event queue. Which is how I thought it'd work. You'd probably want to know which MUSTIME context a given note, for example, belongs to. I suppose musical events in the same MUSTIME context could even go to the same pin/queue as the MUSTIME tempo, meter, bar/beat/etc. events...

-- Chris