[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 14:42:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Chris Grigg wrote:

> OK, I'm convinced.

> Does this means MUSTIME, tempo, & meter can't be stapled to the
> timeslice struct, since they come in as a param from some other
> arbitrary source that the host shouldn't need to peek into?

Looks like it, yes. At least, they can't be stapled in to the "audio
buffer block". The argument, I guess, now comes down to whether any time
source must output a time event at the head of every block, or whether
musical time events are delivered in an arbitrary way. If the latter, I
think it's doubly important that the services layer provides tracking and
conversion routines that make things easier for the plugin developer -
otherwise everyone will be writing his or her own internal clock routine
and potentially getting it wrong :)

Regards,
        Angus.