[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Silver Blade" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 19:56:42 +0100

> I think there seems to be a consensus that times should be represented in
> absolute units, with the host providing a mechanism to convert to other
> units as needed.  That said, what absolute format should we use:
> - Samples (64 bit)?
> - Seconds (double precision float)?
> - Something akin to "reference times" (64 bit, each unit = 100 nsec)
> - Other?

I'd say the reference times option sounds the best. While the reference time
will need to be converted for every time query (ie if we want to find out
the current second, or the current bar/beat/tick), it's better to do that
than to have another format which needs no conversion for one time format,
but which requires more complex calculations for other time formats.

-SB