[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:57:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 May 2003 RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Proposal 1:  A plugin's "process" routine is also provided with a MUSTIME
> value that provides the current musical stream time for the frame.

<Pedant> Or rather, for the start of the frame. Musical time is of course
elastic and may vary during the frame.</Pedant>

>  MUSTIME
> is designed (cleverly<g>) to encode tempo information, so some "MUSTIMEs per
> ABSTIME" (in this frame) can be computed.  Tempo and meter changes are
> delivered to the plugin "just-in-time", as separate events.

If the plugin is provided with tempo and meter changes, it should be able
to compute musical time for itself, we are really supplying the
per-frame MUSTIMEs only for convenience. However, we also need to be able
to deliver musical time discontinuities (MUSTIMEs) just-in-time as events,
as in the case where the sequencer loops back midway through the frame.

Other than that, this proposal works for me.

Regards,
        Angus.