[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Michael Gogins" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 21:15:15 -0400

All of these problems (what is the modulus of time?) are obviated by having
time as absolute seconds from start of performance, double-precision
floating-point. There are no particular performance problems with that. If
there is a problem with rounding errors in converting to/from musical units,
then absolute sample frame from start of performance should be used.

For musical time, bar/beat/tick makes sense. What about also having first
and second derivatives of tempo? (by tick).

The host should also maintain, in an efficiently queried format, such
quantities as seconds per sample frame, seconds per tick, and so on.

Michael Gogins
gogins at pipeline period com
Irreducible Productions
Silence, a language for programming music and sound
Available at http://www.csounds.com