[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:29:44 -0600

Chris Grigg wrote:

So it knows how to calculate the exact position in quanta of any event, after taking into account tempo changes. So every meter event simply contains a duration, which is the delta in time before the host is going to send the next meter event.

Why can't a meter event just set a property that sticks until another, different meter event occurs? This is how e.g. SMF works. IOW, why is the duration span needed? I'm assuming this is independent of tempo changes.

My idea here was to give the plugin a way to know the tempo over the next interval.

I'm confused. Are you talking about tempo or meter or both? Tempo -- the speed of the pulse -- is (traditionally, at least, and with appropriate handling of changes in the denominator) orthogonal to meter -- the way beats are counted and the number of beats per bar, which defines where barlines fall.

Lets say you have a smoothly changing tempo across the length of 1 4/4 bar, where the tempo is getting slower. The duration of each beat in the bar is going to get longer. If we send the duration of the beat at the same time we send the beat to the plugin, then the plugin will be aware of the tempo in force for the duration of the beat.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems