[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:01:34 -0700

Every meter event contains its metrical position and its duration in quanta to the next event. So if you ask for a resolution of 2 and the meter is 3/8, you will receive two meter events, one at the beginning of the measure with a duration of 2 eighth notes (expressed in quanta), and 1 after 2 eighth notes with a duration of 1 eighth note. Therefore all tempo changes are quantized by the host to the resolution requested by the plugin.

I don't get this.  How does the host know how to quantize like this.
Better, perhaps to just get a BEAT event and subdivide that internally.  But
if plugins start relying on this, then we have to assume we send meter
events when the transport is stopped, which is weird..

The meter events would only flow while transport was not stopped. The host knows its timeline.

Well, in real-world practice lots of people completely leave their music counters on 4/4 all the time, even when they go through meter changes. That's the kind of thing typically either left to the studio intern, or else just not done.

So it knows how to calculate the exact position in quanta of any event, after taking into account tempo changes. So every meter event simply contains a duration, which is the delta in time before the host is going to send the next meter event.

Why can't a meter event just set a property that sticks until another, different meter event occurs? This is how e.g. SMF works. IOW, why is the duration span needed? I'm assuming this is independent of tempo changes.

-- Chris