[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:27:16 -0700 (PDT)

>       Samples/sec is simply not accurate enough. I know this sounds strange
> in an audio plugin API, but I want to be able as a host writer to set
> the time representation that I think is necessary for my app. In the
> case of a video editor, I need a tick resolution whihc is lined up with
> my video rate AND my audio rate.
>
>       So I consider it a necessity that the host be able to specify the ticks
> per second. Some hosts might use a sampel rate for this. But not all.

So we have a clash of terminology here ;)  We need to be careful.  I (and
otehrs, I think) have meant ticks as a subdivision of a musical beat.  You
have meant it as a subdivision of a frequency-rate sample.

If you need higher than sample resolution, can't you just increase your
sample rate?

Otherwise we can start talking in sub-samples, where the host defines
sub-samples per sample as an integral value.  It seems to me, however that
this is analogous to increasing the host sample rate...