[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:53:49 -0700 (PDT)

>       Please do not specify that the clock is in the audio sample rate. Leave
> it up to the host to specify to the plugin what the ticks per second is.
> This value would be retrieved by the plugin at startup, and would be
> guaranteed never to change during runtime. The plugin would then be in
> charge of turning ticks in the host's resolution into samples or beats
> or whatever they needed internally.

If ticks is always related to samples by a constant factor, and everything
must convert between the two ehy not just represent timestamps as samples
and be done with it.

In my discussion, I always meant ticks in relation to musical time, which is
to say - NOT related to sample time in any direct way.

I think we all agree that some constant, monotonic, absolute value is the
fundamental timestamp.  Samples are used everywhere, and the host already
provides knowledge of samples/sec.

More from me as I work through the list of messages to which I must respond.