[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:24:04 -0400

Sure... so you calculate where you think they should be based on your
current knowledge of the future, and if in the mean time you get tempo
events, you recalculate your assumptions.
<<<

This recalculation is very painful to do, and doesn't always work.  We ran
into this exact problem developing Project5.

If the host is slaved to an
external source (hardware, for example), it cannot do the
musical<->audiotime conversion for certain at the time it receives the
initial note-event, even with knowledge of the tempo map.
<<<

Yes it can.  What you do is assume the timeline time (not the UST) is
already "warped" by whatever sync is going on.  Then the conversion from
musical time to absolute time really becomes from musical time to "warped"
absolute time, which can be done regardless of whatever rate tweaking is
present due to external sync.  We do this already today in SONAR.