[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 12:30:54 -0500

>> well, i think that POSIX would be an excellent model. i just think
>> that there is likely to be a lot of opposition from others who see
>> POSIX as a way for Unix-heads to sneak their own view of the universe
>> into GMPI. and in some senses, they'd be right. otoh, POSIX is
>> probably the best and perhaps only example of a comprehensive attempt
>> to define portable OS services.
>>

>Then let the plugins use POSIX for whatever they need it for. Why is it
>necessary to put it into the sdk ?

because if they choose not to use POSIX calls, and instead use native
Win32 or Cocoa or <SomeOtherAPI> calls, they are writing a plugin
that can't be ported to other platforms.

a developer is free to do this if s/he chooses to, but as angus has
pointed out, many modern plugins require various OS services. unless
we make it clear how a plugin should obtain such services in a
platform neutral way, we are *forcing* developers to write
non-portable code, thus reducing some of the attractiveness of GMPI
for everyone.

--p