[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: Marcus Clements <marcus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 15:14:55 +0000

David Olofson wrote:

On Thursday 06 March 2003 15.55, Frederic Vanmol wrote:

We have to decide on one, and cdecl is the closest match to what
C compilers use on practically all other platforms. It just
seemed logical.

I don't see a reason to choose the same calling conventions on all
platforms. Choose the best calling convention for each platform.
It's easy enough to handle in the code.

Agreed.

How often are developers actually going to have to worry about this?
if the SDK is written well these details can be ignored by the vast majority of plugin writers. Why not provide as much compatibility for code and binaries as possible. Surely this will save headaches for host and plugin developers alike.

It doesn't make it easier to run Win32 DLLs on other platforms,
but it's not too hard to deal with, and either way, that's not
really what plugin portability is about, IMHO. Most of the time,
binary portability only makes sense when you can do it without
emulating the CPU of the foreign platform.

Binary portability makes no sense for the majority of plugins.

Exactly.

It might actually be useful for pure music/event processors that don't use too much CPU, but even that starts to give me this "as if CPUs were infinitely fast" feeling... Urgh. :-/