[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: "Silver Blade" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:40:57 -0000

> > > int8, int16, int32, int64
> > >
> > > uint8, uint16, uint32, uint64
> >
> > I think typedefs like these are in C99 and we should probably
> > use those.
> >
> > > float32, float64, float80
> >
> > These don't make much sense. Just use float/double.
>

> Why do typedefs like uint8, uint16, etc. make sense to you but float32,
> float64, and float80 do not?

Possibly because, if working with the range -1.0 to +1.0, float32 and
float64 might not affect the range?

For example, 64-bit integers can hold a larger range of numbers than 32-bit
integers. But floats, I believe, while having the same limitations, can have
the same range (but different precision.)

-SB