[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: "chris" <kjbeak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 02:00:37 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Grigg" <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 10:18 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

> "In order to help simplify the porting of plug-ins to different
> platforms, the GMPI specification should include the definition of a
> standard mechanism for accessing a limited set of basic host system
> services, including at a minimum memory and file system services, and
> perhaps also time and thread services.  If a suitable specification
> for this already exists and has reliable implementations across the
> targeted platforms, it should be given consideration; otherwise a new
> minimal specification will need to be developed."

I think that sums it up very well.

A minimal set of services and only those services which are esential or
provide a worthwhile benefit. If in that set of services we can cover the
majority of the needs of an average plugin then that would go a long way to
making it Cross Platform. (is there such a thing as an average plugin?)

What about the User Interface, should a cross platform spec be provided for
that. It seems to me the UI hasnt been mentioned and it strikes me that a
cross platform DSP interface without Cross platform UI interface is
contradictory?

Or is this another topic?

Is there a sumarry or list of future topics anywhere online?

chris