[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:47:49 -0500

>To summarize this debate as a "requirement", which is what this discussion
>is supposed to be about...  "The GMPI specification should define the
>calling convention to be used for the plugin interface.  The calling
>convention should be chosen to allow <x y z> programming languages to be
>supported and <a b c> operating systems to be supported."

i agree with this wording, but the point i was trying to convey was
that the calling convention is just one part of the cross-platform
picture. its clear that we do have to define the calling convention to
cover those platforms where it varies. but i've also tried to
establish that there are other things that plugins need to do for
which the only option right now is a platform-specific approach. so i
guess to restate this in the form you've chosen, i can see 3 options:

a) the GMPI specification should not address how plugins access various
      system resources and configuration information.

b) the GMPI specification should include a definition of how a plugin
      can access various system resources and configuration
      information. it should also define which resources and
      information are available in this way.

c) the GMPI specification will reference/encourage use of another
      specification to allow plugins to access various system
      resources and configuration information.

which should it be?