[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: "Silver Blade" <silverblade_uk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 21:32:12 -0000

A lot of people seem to be suggesting that we wrap common API functions,
provided by the different platforms, into part of GMPI (or so it seems.)
While it would be a good idea to have a common API for all platforms, I
really don't think this fits in with GMPI, and it's even less relevent than
my (and others) suggestion of possibly including video plugins as part of
GMPI.

I think we should just focus on GMPI supporting a wide range of plugin
types, and possibly device I/O (since device drivers could be considered
plug-ins), rather than try to create a cross-platform development API which
just so happens to be good at supporting a wide range of music plugins.

Personally, I'd like to see a common API for different platforms. At the
moment I'm using wxWindows, but that's a static link library (although a DLL
can be made), which means that my program actually incorporates wxWindows
when it runs. I'm not sure what the ideal solution would be, but a logical
one is a good idea! Especially if everything can be neatly wrapped (again
like wxWindows does.)

But that's not really relevent here. The issue, I think, should be about
what GMPI should do to be able to run on different platforms, not about
wrapping platform API calls. Maybe a separate project could focus on this,
but I feel a whole new can of worms has been opened.

Some of you may disagree, and quite rightly so, since making cross-platform
development easier is something I'm sure many programmers want. However, I
feel that the wrapping of platform API calls is beyond the scope of GMPI.

-SB