  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:46:18 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> 3. What are the target "form factors" for GMPI plugins?
>
> - On the same platform as the application
> - On dedicated (DSP) hardware with a software interface to the host

-- are we interested in possible networked plugins? or is the general
feeling that by the time GMPI is adopted, CPUs will be so fast that this
is irrelevant ((it's already close... Steinberg's System Link does not
seem to have had all that wide an adoption, implying it's not an important
requirement for most people NOW, and will decline in importance with time
))

> 5. What kinds of plugins do people use today, and what will they want to use
> in the future?
>
> Audio-to-Audio:  Effects that replace traditional outboard gear in a
> studio), such as delays, reverbs, chorus, flanger, compressor, eq, pitch
> shifter, etc.
>
> Music-to-Audio:  MIDI synthesizers or other "monolithic" synthesizers.
>
> Music-to-Music:  Quantizers, transposers, style generators.
>
> Audio-to-Music:  Pitch to audio converers, pitch detectors, envelope
> followers

Let's be a bit careful with this... "music" in this context means some
control signal or protocol..  we should allow for the fact that ANY
transform, even a "music to music" transform, should support a second
control path... for such things as interactively controlled (midi-enabled)
audio effects, realtime resynthesizers, intelligent arpeggiators / musical
harmony transformers which are fed with both an input "sequence (of
musical data)" and control data (also musical data) fed from a second
source (such as a MIDI keyboard).

Regards,
        Angus.