  • From: "Daniel Webb" <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:36:53 -0000

> targeting the GMPI concept makes no sens in my opinion. The first thing
> programmers and industries needs is firstly
> - an architecture and organization defining a plug-in.
> - a communication protocole to get /set information about the plug-in, its
> behavior and its abilities.

Agreed. As long as the sample format is negotiable then It's the
architecture that is the useful thing, not the format.

Just to introduce myself. I work on Griff - a music studio for PocketPC
devices and the only one with a plugin architecture.  Paul Kellet suggested
I join this list to add a view from the Handheld devices perspective.

We looked at the various plugin formats but eventually designed our own.
gmpi, done right, would have been a better alternative. That way the plugin
writers would be comfortable with the interface even if the sample format
was different.

FPU performance in PocketPC's are currently nowhere near fast enough for DSP
so Griff uses a 24bit integer sample format. When FP Performance improves
Griff may move to a FP sample format. gmpi, done right, would enable this.
Griff would ask the plugins for FP output, and if this was declined ask for
24bit integer output and do the conversion to FP internally.

I'm not saying each plugin would have to handle all the different formats,
I'd assume most would handle just 32bit 44.1/48/96 - but gmpi should allow
the flexibility. There's absolutely no reason why not.  We're after a widely
accepted standard after all.

> I just want to throw in that it is probably every musicians dream to
> have a mobile studio in his handheld PC.
Marc,

Marc, your dream may be answered at www.planetgriff.com
(apologies for the shameless plug (pun intended))

Regards

Daniel Webb
PlanetGriff Citizen
http://www.planetgriff.com