  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:01:30 +0000

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 05:00:23PM -0500, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> 1) Native DAW (Windows, Mac, LINUX)
>       a) audio and music-data
>       b) filters, sources, sinks
>       c) realtime, offline, non-linear editing
>       d) drivers?
>       e) other media types?
> 2) DAW + DSP (e.g., UAD-1, PowerCore, ProTools TDM)
> 3) External DSP box (e.g., Plugzilla, Chameleon, firewire I/O boxes with
> DSPs)
> 4) Gaming consoles
> 5) Handheld devices
> <<<
>
> With OS's like Pocket PC, a handheld device looks more like a native DAW
> except it has "interesting" processor requirements.  So I think we should
> keep those kinds of systems in mind, maybe more than gaming consoles.

2, 3 and some 5's have architectures that don't support threading. I'm not
sure this is an issue, I've certainly never written a plugin that
explicitly spawns a thread.

I'm happy as long as the base requirement is floating point and high level
language support. I still dont see how it's meaningful to describe a
plugin format for them otherwise.

no float => GP CPU plugins will require complete rewrite
no high level language => no portability and no API

- Steve