  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:59:03 +0000

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 12:17:52 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 February 2003 12.12, David Olofson wrote:
> [...]
> > Driver plugins requires features that allow hosts to find out or
> > dictate which driver plugins will block on I/O. Some drivers will
> > need a way to do the real work in one plugin, while another is just
> > an interface to a shared buffer. (Some APIs cannot open audio in
> > and audio out independently.)
>
> Oh, I forgot one rather important detail: Some audio APIs actually
> need to *drive* the audio client through a callback, often running in
> interrupt context. (Mac OS Classic would be one example, I think.)

Back on topic, are driver plugins neccesary? I dont think they will be
generally useful enough to support in the API myself. I think they will
end up being host and platform specific.

How do you represent the range of connection possibilities in rewire or
jack? In a way that can be understood by the host or controlled by a UI?
What are the advantages of represting low level i/o as a plugin (other
than computer sciency design aesthetics). Will it make the users
experience better?

- Steve