  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:17:52 +0100

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 12.12, David Olofson wrote:
[...]
> Driver plugins requires features that allow hosts to find out or
> dictate which driver plugins will block on I/O. Some drivers will
> need a way to do the real work in one plugin, while another is just
> an interface to a shared buffer. (Some APIs cannot open audio in
> and audio out independently.)

Oh, I forgot one rather important detail: Some audio APIs actually
need to *drive* the audio client through a callback, often running in
interrupt context. (Mac OS Classic would be one example, I think.)

That means a driver plugin will need a way to call the host. Blocking
is not relevant in that case, since timing is controlled entirely by
the driver plugin. It will just call the engine once per block, and
expect the drive plugin instances to be used as interfaces to the
audio I/O buffers.