  • From: Bram - Smartelectronix <bram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:38:38 +0100 (CET)

I don't really understand why we need to specificaly quantify the
different types of plugins. Why not just let the writer of the plugin
decide what I/O he needs ("3 audio in, 2 audio out, 1 musical-data out")
and let the host decide what plugins work in it's inside ("this host only
supports 2audio_in 2audio_out"

What will you call a plugin that renders an image from the incomming
audio data and generates both audio and musical information data?

Using such a system is quite easy too, and removes the stupid limitations
in VST like having to call isSynth() in plugins that are anything but
synths.

Normal hosts would of course only support simple I/O types, but that
doesn't really matter.

It also enables to wrap any existing format.

greetings,

 - bram