  • From: NoelBorthwick@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:54:40 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurent de Soras [Ohm Force] [mailto:laurent@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2003 5:16 PM
To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Topic 1: Audience for and users of plugins

> What kinds of plugins do people use today, and what will
> they want to use in the future?

>>- Generic sources/sinks (disk writers, wrapper for audio
>>and MIDI ports, etc)

This is a good point. Plugins are potentially more than data transforms.
They can be sources or sinks (aka renderers). For example a style generation
plugin might be a source.
We should eveluate this within the scope of GMPI.

>>I think everyone would agree with real-time processing support.
>> But should we make the API capable of off-line processing (sampling rate
conversion,
>>different time scale for in/out, non-linear access to source), just like
the off-line part of VST ?
>>IMHO both keep a lot of common features but are quite different in the
functioning.
>>Mixing them seems dangerous, and probably confusing for the end- user. Two
sub-APIs ? How ?

We need to be careful about classifying plugins as real time or offline.
A plugin that is not real time due to today's cpu limitations might very
well be real time tomorrow.
Of course something that requires non-linear access to source as you point
out is a different case.
The model shouldn't dictate the host implementation as far as possible.

Noel