  • From: "Peter Haller" <pchaller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:02:42 -0500

> One example would be the common use of effects directly on clips in
> NLE's, while this is much less common in DAW's. If you do drag and drop
> to add a plugin to a clip, it would be very useful if you didn't have to
> know the channel type of the plugin until after it was dropped on either
> a mono or stereo clip. So if I had one plugin with capabilities, and
> then I could use a factory to create the mono or stereo version of the
> plugin, that would be swell.

This is the responsability of the host.  The host can map any given format
to its uses _if_ it wants to.

Let's not forget that the host is the controller of any plugin.  It MUST be
able to negotiate and deal with any and all issues that a plugin dishes out.

> I think that most of the cases are usage cases like this one, instead
> of fundamental processing differences. I just want to keep in mind that
> there may be different usage cases in NLE's as opposed to DAW's.

Usage cases are  host problems.  A host has to be smart enough to either
perimt usage or not permit usage of any given plugin. I should never be the
other way around.

Peter