[gmpi] Topic 1: Audience for and users of plugins

  • From: "Asnaghi Lucio" <lucio.asnaghi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:16:30 +0100

gmpi should support every type of music applications there are at the
moment,
and should be possible writing generators, processors, redirectors (
maybe over a network ) of music data, this can be audio, or timestamped
midi & parameters tweaking. Plugins must provide to host what kind of
i/o it have ( and what datatype it can process also ), but not let the
host know if it is a synth or a send effect and we should treat them the
same way ( not as the vst plugin sdk, where you have to specify what
type of plugin it is, cause this is a limitation and a developer have to
write multiple version of the same plug for different use ). I like a
lot the idea of hosts like bidule where you have only plugins that will
serve you as generators or processors, or both of them without the need
of be too linked to a specific host routing of internal audio data ( i
mean i can use a plugin as my sequencer and a plugin for my mixer and a
plugin as delay effect, but they are interfaced as the same type of
plugin, providing only different type of in/out events ).

Also the possibility of having a offline processing ( as Laurent said )
is an extremely good thing to provide to end user. But it should not
differ the implementation of a realtime plugin, just let control more
over positioning on the offline audio buffer to process...

For video plugins i dun't know at the time if gmpi should focus on this,
but seems an interesting thing maybe to support in the future.

lou