  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:07:59 +0000

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 09:24:30 -0500, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Most of us here are very well versed in the domain of floating point DSP,
> written in C/C++ (primarily), running on Windows, Mac and Linux (primarily),
> packaged as in-process plugins.  Does this mean that the scope of GMPI
> should therefore be restricted to the aforementioned?  Let's not assume so,
> not just yet.
>
> It's safe to assume that GMPI needs to cover at least that much ground.  But
> what more?
> - DSP based systems.  Is it feasable that one plugin API can allow the same
> source to be cross-compiled for DSPs and native systems?

My impression (given limited knowledge of how these things work) is
that the embedded systems aren't really ready for a plugin format, they
dont have dynamic loading in the same sense as a general purpose operating
system, and they are not coded in high level languages.

However this isn't to say that in the future audio DSP systems wont be
intended for floating point and good targets for C compilers. I'm not sure
it's neccesary to do anything special to make integration with potential
future hardware easy though, we should just be able to design it in a
clean and open manner, without any assumptions about the system or
hardware. From peoples comments earier I think were heading in that
direction anyway, (eg. seperation of UI and DSP, platform neutral data
etc).

> Perhaps the answer is not to set out design a fully comprehensive
> specification.  Better would be to recognize where future work is needed,
> designate those areas for subsequent spec versions, and make sure we don't
> design ourselves into a corner.

Absoultly, and a clean and generic design can go a long way towards this.

- Steve