  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 04:38:38 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> It's safe to assume that GMPI needs to cover at least that much ground.  But
> what more?
> - DSP based systems.  Is it feasable that one plugin API can allow the same
> source to be cross-compiled for DSPs and native systems?

Are we talking about DSP-accelerated systems running on a reasonably
powerful host CPU (like UAD-1, ProTools, Powercore) or "embedded DSP"
boxes along the lines of the Chameleon?

> - Systems with "limited" resources, such as CPU speed.  Specifically, can
> the same source code be cross-compiled to run on a fast desktop system as
> well as a relatively slower PDA?

Surely an algorithm either will run in realtime on given resources, or it
won't? Some plugin APIs have "quality metrics" built in to them, but I
haven't seen it widely used.

> Someday soon, other "standards" will emerge to cover those unfamiliar bits
> (PDAs, cell phones, game consoles, embedded) in a way that looks similar yet
> is incompatible.

OK, this IS important... think about it, Reaktor on your cellphone ;)

> Perhaps the answer is not to set out design a fully comprehensive
> specification.  Better would be to recognize where future work is needed,
> designate those areas for subsequent spec versions, and make sure we don't
> design ourselves into a corner.

Yes. Is it possible to component-ize the spec to some degree? IOW, some
aspects are very likely to break compatibility with certain systems
(streaming models, GUI interaction), others (persistence,
parameterization, factory presets) are not. Seems to me that a flexible
approach would be to design a group of related standard interfaces, and
when creating an actual standard for a given platform, drawing the most
appropriate interfaces from that pool.

Even though that will arguably reduce the "instant portability" aspect
(a red herring in any case... in my experience, algorithms have to work
very differently to be optimal on native CPUs vs DSP), it will at least
make it easier to learn the different platforms, being essentially one
pool of knowledge.

Regards,
        Angus.