  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 21:24:30 -0500

1: Easy to implement
2: Support all kinds of applications
3: "just work"
<<<

Of these 3 items, I totally agree that (1) and (3) are paramount.  I think
that the topic of discussion right now is (2): Support <how many> kinds of
applications.

Most of us here are very well versed in the domain of floating point DSP,
written in C/C++ (primarily), running on Windows, Mac and Linux (primarily),
packaged as in-process plugins.  Does this mean that the scope of GMPI
should therefore be restricted to the aforementioned?  Let's not assume so,
not just yet.

It's safe to assume that GMPI needs to cover at least that much ground.  But
what more?
- DSP based systems.  Is it feasable that one plugin API can allow the same
source to be cross-compiled for DSPs and native systems?
- Systems with "limited" resources, such as CPU speed.  Specifically, can
the same source code be cross-compiled to run on a fast desktop system as
well as a relatively slower PDA?

I am also an incrementalist in my approach to development.  But I believe
that if we set out to develop a standard that covers only the ground that we
are familiar with, then our success will be confined to a little fishbowl.
Someday soon, other "standards" will emerge to cover those unfamiliar bits
(PDAs, cell phones, game consoles, embedded) in a way that looks similar yet
is incompatible.

Perhaps the answer is not to set out design a fully comprehensive
specification.  Better would be to recognize where future work is needed,
designate those areas for subsequent spec versions, and make sure we don't
design ourselves into a corner.