  • From: Alexey Menshikov <alexm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 13:13:58 +0200

Our target are DAW users only.

The one feature i missing in existent plugin formats
is a getting file lenght for calculate timestretch or process time.
Also, we need folugin format suitable for modular plugins - there is a
lot of modular plugins appears recently (include our new one) but its
hard to develop for current industry formats. (and even port between
formats)

Alexey Menshikov
Lead developer delaydots.com
Audio Designer Action Forms Ltd.
Member of G.A.N.G. (www.audiogang.com)

Sunday, February 16, 2003, 12:16:17 AM, you wrote:

>> Who are our target users/customers?
>> Who are our target developers?

LdSOF> I'd say mostly DAW users. I think we should focus on it.
LdSOF> Of course this will not close the door to game consoles,
LdSOF> plam thingies or other applications. But trying to cater
LdSOF> for too much platform requirements is going to make GMPI
LdSOF> complex and not optimally designed.

LdSOF> We should design GMPI only for platform we know and we
LdSOF> develop for. How many of us are experienced enough with
LdSOF> modern gaming audio or today's hardware synthesiser
LdSOF> development ? Do we know every technical issue for these
LdSOF> technologies, the current market directions ? Finally, are
LdSOF> these industries really demanding for GMPI ? I ask these
LdSOF> question because I hear many people requiring support for
LdSOF> various platforms and uses, but I'm not even sure they are
LdSOF> developping for them. We cannot seriously produce a
LdSOF> standard for areas we don't master.

LdSOF> I (personally and within my company) develop for DAWs and
LdSOF> feel a need from musicians, sound engineers, sound designers
LdSOF> etc. as well as audio/music developers. The goal is to be
LdSOF> able to connect pieces of sound software (classified as
LdSOF> Hosts and Plug-ins), with efficient interoperability. These
LdSOF> pieces of software should allow user to work as easily and
LdSOF> creatively as possible, with a maximum compatibility. On
LdSOF> the other hand, they should remain easy and simple to
LdSOF> develop.

LdSOF> Because there are already many valuable audio software, I
LdSOF> suggest GMPI to be at least capable of being a super-wrapper
LdSOF> for existing standards, allowing GMPI-featured DAWs to work
LdSOF> with plug-ins from several standards in a transparent way.

>> What kinds of plugins do people use today, and what will
>> they want to use in the future?

LdSOF> This is not an exhaustive list, just generic ideas I just
LdSOF> have in mind:

LdSOF> - Audio effects
LdSOF> - Music data processors ("MIDI effects")
LdSOF> - Synthesisers
LdSOF> - Hybrid (audio effects driven with music data)
LdSOF> - Music data producers (automatic music composers,
LdSOF> modulation generators, simple sequencers)
LdSOF> - Generic sources/sinks (disk writers, wrapper for audio
LdSOF> and MIDI ports, etc)

LdSOF> I think everyone would agree with real-time processing
LdSOF> support. But should we make the API capable of off-line
LdSOF> processing (sampling rate conversion, different time
LdSOF> scale for in/out, non-linear access to source), just like
LdSOF> the off-line part of VST ? IMHO both keep a lot of common
LdSOF> features but are quite different in the functioning. Mixing
LdSOF> them seems dangerous, and probably confusing for the end-
LdSOF> user. Two sub-APIs ? How ?

LdSOF> -- Laurent

LdSOF> ==================================+========================
LdSOF> Laurent de Soras                  |               Ohm Force
LdSOF> DSP developer & Software designer |  Digital Audio Software
LdSOF> mailto:laurent@xxxxxxxxxxxx       | http://www.ohmforce.com

LdSOF> Generalized Music Plugin Interface (GMPI) public discussion list
LdSOF> Participation in this list is contingent upon your abiding by the
LdSOF> following rules:  Please stay on topic.  You are responsible for your own
LdSOF> words.  Please respect your fellow subscribers.  Please do not
LdSOF> redistribute anyone else's words without their permission.

LdSOF> Archive: //www.freelists.org/archives/gmpi