  • From: "Mikael Hillborg" <mikael@xxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:21:16 +0100

> It was avoiding prediction of compsers' needs that I specifically was
> advising. No assumptions that "nobody will every need more than 16 bits of
> precision" and such. This can be done simply.

Yes, but there will always be limits. For example, with IP version 6, we say
we will never need more than 128 bits. And some computer manufacturers say no
one
will ever need more than 8 or 10 PCI slots. Not true for everyone, but maybe 99%
and they have to set a limit. So no matter how hard you try, there will always
be
*some* limits. What I'm afraid of is that we're getting stuck just because
people
might want to have everything forward compatible in all kinds of aspects. And
that usually leads to nothing in the end. But of course, important things, such
not be too limited. I guess we just have to use common sense here.

> CORBA is not dead, by the way... nor is there yet enough experience with
> SOAP and other XML formats to determine whether they are really going to
> catch on. MIDI was an instant smash hit - other stuff takes longer to figure
> out.

Yes, MIDI was a smash hit but definitely limited from its begining. I remember
it didn't take long before people started to complain about the far too slow
bit
rate and the sluggish response when 16 channels containing dense data, such as
pitch bend etc, were sequenced. So limited or not, it doesn't really determine
whether the technology will be a smash hit or not.
The important is: does it work? If it does, then it'll be used.

/MH